A secret ingredient takes our broccoli salad from sugar-rich to a low-carb family favorite.
Summer is in full swing and visiting the local farmers markets are favorite summer pass time of many. The problem, we are so excited we may buy too many vegetables yielding spoiled goodies. This salad gives us another fabulous use for broccoli, but the real secret comes in the the dressing. We said good-bye to the creamy, high-sugar, high-fat dressings and used Greek yogurt and Swerve sweetener.
Sweve is becoming a staple in the Skinny Louisiana as a great sugar replacer in our recipes. Why? It taste like sugar, doesn’t leave a nasty aftertaste, and is a New Orleans born product. Swerve is a combination of erythitol and olisacrrides making this a perfect 1 to 1 substitute for sugar AND does NOT cause intestinal cramping (like other sugar alcohols) since it is absorbed in the large intestine. Purchase Swerve at your local supermarket or our favorite destination, Drug Emporium.
- 1 head of broccoli, cut into small pieces
- ½ cup 2% Mozzarella cheese
- 2 Applegate bacon strips, cooked and chopped
- ¼ onion, chopped
- 2 tbsp light mayo
- 2 tbsp plain Greek yogurt
- 2 tablespoons white vinegar
- 1 tbsp Swerve sweetener
- In a large bowl, combine broccoli, cheese, bacon, and onion.
- In a small bowl, combine mayo, Greek yogurt, vinegar, and Swerve sweetener.
- Pour dressing over broccoli mixture.
- Toss. Serve.
Nutrition Facts. Calories: 90, Total fat: 4g, Saturated fat: 1.5g, Sodium: 170mg, Total carbohydrates: 11g, Dietary fiber: 3g, Protein: 7g.